100 percent hook up

By the 1950s, anything south of Atlantic Avenue was considered South Brooklyn; thus, the names "Red Hook" and "South Brooklyn" were applied also to today's Carroll Gardens, Cobble Hill, Columbia Heights, and Gowanus neighborhoods.

Portions of Carroll Gardens and Cobble Hill were granted landmark status in the 1970s and were carved out of Red Hook.

100 percent hook up-33

In May, Washington described it as "small but exceedingly strong".

On July 5, General Nathanael Greene called it "a post of vast importance" and, three days later, Col. On July 12, the British frigates Rose and Phoenix and the schooner Tyrol ran the gauntlet past Defiance and the stronger Governor's Island works without firing a shot, and got all the way to Tappan Zee, the widest part of the Hudson River.

On Friday, two ships and three tenders, taking advantage of a brisk gale and strong current, ran by our batteries, up the North River where they at present remain.

By deserters we learn that they sustained considerable damage, being hulled in many places, and very much hurt in their rigging.

General Israel Putnam came to New York on April 4, 1776, to assess the state of its defenses and strengthen them.

Among the works initiated were forts on Governor's Island and Red Hook, facing the bay.

So great was their hurry, that they would not stay to return our salute, though it was given with much cordiality and warmth; which they seemed very sensible of, notwithstanding their distance, which was nearly two miles.

In 1839, the City of Brooklyn published a plan to create streets, which included filling in all of the ponds and other low-lying areas.

Red Hook is in the area known as South Brooklyn, which, contrary to its name, is actually in western Brooklyn.

This name is derived from the original City of Brooklyn which ended at Atlantic Street, now Atlantic Avenue.

From the 1920s on, a lot of poor and unemployed Norwegians, mostly former sailors, were living in the area in what they called ├śrkenen Sur ("The Bitter Desert") around places like Hamilton Avenue and Gospel Hill. The school was later renamed the Patrick Daly School after that principal, who was beloved within that school.

Tags: , ,